- Plant - stem weak, spreading or pendent, 3 to
6 dm. long, 2 cm. in diameter or less
- Joints - 8 to 12 cm. long, 3 to 5-ribbed, 10 mm. in diameter,
light green, spiny; ribs tuberculate
- Areoles - 10 mm. apart; spines 6 or 7, 5 to 7 mm. long, yellowish
- Flowers - including the ovary about 15 mm. long; inner perianth-segments
5, pale yellow to cream-colored, acute, erect or slightly spreading
- Stamens - numerous, shorter than the perianth-segments, included
- Style - longer than stamens; stigma-lobes 8, linear, spreading
- Ovary - strongly tuberculate, purplish, its areoles bearing white
- Fruit - globose, 1 2 to 16 mm. in diameter, rose-red, spiny
- Seeds - numerous, black.
DISTRIBUTION. Bolivia (Cochabamba, Santa Cruz, (Tarija),
Argentina (Jujuy, Salta, Tucuman): epiphytic and epilithic to at least
1300 m altitude.
Photos copyright Ken Friedman