See Korotkova thesis 2011
incachacana (Cardenas) Barthlott & N. Korotkova in Willdenowia
40:167 . 2010.
= Rhipsalis incachacana Cardenas in Cactus (Paris) No. 34, 125.
1952. Holotype: Bolivia, Cochabamba, Incachaca, Cardenas 4855, June 1950
Lepismium incachacanum (Cardenas) Barthlott
in Bradleya 5; 99 (1987)
Desc from C&SJ (US) p258 (1985)
Stems - at first suberect, later pendent, to 1 - 2m
long, branching laterally, complanate, somewhat twisted or undulate, obtuse,
the segments 10 -60cm long, (3 -) 5 - 6cm wide, the bases tapering rather
abruptly to 1 - 2cm wide, the wings 1 - 1.5mm thick, the midrib 4 - 8mm
wide and 3 - 6m thick the margins subacute, crenate, the lobes more or
less semicircular, more rarely oblique, projecting 5 - l0mm, 5 - 30mm
- Areoles - oblong, facing toward stem-apex at ca.
45° to main stem-axis, 3 - 6mm long, 3 - 5mm wide, the areole-margins
forming an oblong cyathium-like structure filled with a dense, oblong
to slightly spreading tuft of 50 - 80 spines, these becoming absent
on older stems; spines stiff to rather hair-like, mostly straight or
more rarely somewhat curving, 2 - l8mm long less than 0.1 mm thick,
reddish when young, later grey to whitish; areolar wool less than lmm
long grey to whitish, epidermis roughened by minute obtuse papillae
that often form ridges, light green.
- Flowers - 1 - 5 to an areole, directed toward the
stem-apex at ca. 45°, 9 - lOmm long; Receptacle - 4mm long, 3mm
thick, the pericarpel turbinate, 2mm long, pinkish white to greenish,
the podaria obtuse, to 2mm long, lmm wide and less than 0.5mm high;
- Bracteoles - ca. 6, appressed, widely ovate to deltoid,
to lmm long and wide, reddish; areolar wool less than 1 mm long, sinuous,
brownish to cream;
- Spines - to 3 in each areole, thin and sinuous, 2
- 6mm long, cream;
- Corolla - opening 1.5 - 2mm wide,
- Tepals - ca. 10, the apices expanding, the outermost
ovate-deltoid and subacute, the inner ones oblong and obtuse, 2 - 7mm
long, 1.5 - 2mm wide, the basal portion light red, dark red above; ovary-chamber
turbinate, ca lmm in diameter, nectaries ca. 0.75mm long,
- Stamens - 8 - 10, adnate for 1 - 1.5mm, the adnate
portions forming prominent ridges, free for 1 - 3mm, less than 0.25mm
thick, cream, the anthers oblong, ca. 0.33mm long and less than 0.2mm
- Style - 7 - 1 lmm long, 0.33mm thick, light red,
the stigma ca. 5 - lobed, 0.33 mm long, shortly papillose, light yellow.
- Fruit - subglobose, 6 - 7.5mm long, 5 - 7mm thick,
the basal half lacking podaria, the apical half with ca. 4 obscure obtuse
podaria ca. 3mm long and 2mm wide; bracteoles present on apical 1.5mm,
the epidermis smooth, magenta, with a slight whitish waxy bloom; dried
floral remains straight 5mm long, tan to dark brown; pulp magenta.
- Seeds - obovoid, 1.75mm long, lmm wide, ca. 0.5mm
thick, minutely pitted on half nearest hilum, nearly smooth elsewhere,
shiny, black; hilum directed at ca. 45° from main seed-axis slightly
DISTRIBUTION. Bolivia (Cochabamba): epiphyte at 2200 m altitude.
Note from Bradleya 13
This is clearly the sister species of L. cruciforme
sp. nova Cardenas Quelques cactacees nouvelles de Bolivie. Cactus (France)
Treated as L. incachacanum by B&T in Bradleya 13
Original description based on both the French and the Latin!
- Plant epiphytic, branched hanging from high forest trees in dense
- Branches pendulous, 0.20 - 1.50m long, leaflike, crenate.
- Joints, margins undulate, thin, light green, 20 - 30cm long, 4 - 6cm
wide, median nerve 2 -3 mm thick, hard.
- Areoles sunken, 2cm apart at the base of the stems, closer on the
terminal joints, 5mm diam (7mm when young), with light brown tomentum;
bristles rigid, brush-like, dense, 18mm long, pale yellow-brownish later
- Flower buds Conical, above red, below yellow.
- Flowers 1 - 2 per areole, 1cm long, tubular.
- Ovary 2mm long, green, at the base white hairy, scales wide, purple,
sparingly white hairs
- Tepals outer ones 2 - 6mm long, lanceolate, acute, reddish/green (bright
red in the French!), inside ones lanceolate, purple, 6mm long.
- Stamens ca. 9, inserted at base of tube, 5mm long, filament white,
larger at the base, inner ones longer; anthers light yellow.
- Style ca. 7mm long, dark purple in the upper part, lighter coloured
lower, 3 - 4 branched stigmas, white, short, 0.5mm long, Thick corona.
- Fruit Globose, 8mm diam., green, with 5 red angles.
- Seeds 2mm diam., shiny black, lightly depressed near the umbilicus
(?hilum), sparingly punctulate.
Type locality Bolivia, Prov. Chapare, Dept. Cochabamba, near Incachaca
2200m, June 1950 M Cardenas No.4855. Type in Berb. Cardenasianum
This rare plant does not approach any other species in the sub-tribe
of the Rhipsalidanae. It is distinguished by the tufts of wool
in the areoles. This character might justify a new genus, but we do not
want to add another to this subtribe, not until this entire group is better